Hoodoo Wins Major Award

I got a phone call yesterday morning from Boston. I didn't answer it. Who do I know in Boston?
Uh, no one.

But when they called a third time I picked it up. I'm glad I did.

The call was from the folks at the American Library Association's Mid-Winter Conference.

Why the early-morning call?

Hoodoo won a major award!

I am honored to have received the Coretta Scott King/John Steptoe New Talent Author Award!


This was really exciting news. I knew they gathered every year for this, but I forgot when it took place. This convention awards the big prizes including The Newbery, Caldecott, Printz, Coretta Scott King Awards and several others.

You can see the webcast here and scroll down to see all the recipients.

Suffice to say I didn't get a lot of work done yesterday!

HAPPY 2016!









5 comments:

Faith E. Hough said...

Congratulations! I was reading through all the winners and when I saw your name stopped and said, "Wait! I follow that guy's blog!" :)

Unknown said...

Congratulations Ron, well done!

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

What a wonderful surprise! I'm sure you are glad you answered that phone!

Kimber Agonistes said...

Not ten minutes ago, I recommended Hoodoo to somebody and told them I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see "award-winning novel" on the cover when this book comes out in paperback. Then I decided to look up your blog while I was thinking about it, and saw this post. Congratulations on a well-deserved award! I doubt this will be the last. :-)

Spencer said...

Congratulations! It's an award well deserved! Hoodoo is an excellent novel - Good show!